Millions of people around the nation struggle to lose weight. Part of the difficulty is that what works for one person may not be effective for another. At Relief Express we offer a comprehensive range of options that can be customized to suit the needs and goals of a wide variety of individuals. If surgical intervention is undesirable or not necessary, The ORBERA™ Managed Weight Loss System may be a better option. Recently FDA-approved and used in over 80 countries, this technique is an innovative, non-surgical approach designed to work in concert with a healthy diet and exercise regimen. The multi-modality therapy combines the latest bariatric techniques with tried-and-true wisdom to achieve significant weight loss and improved long-term health.
Benefits of ORBERA
ORBERA™ is a unique weight loss approach that combines advanced technology with comprehensive support. Additionally, ORBERA™ can also:
- Achieve approximately three times as much weight loss as diet and exercise alone
- Require only minimal downtime
- Help patients develop healthier eating and fitness habits for the long term
- Provide an all-inclusive support program with dietitians, bariatric surgeons, and physiologists
- Jumpstart weight loss in the first three months
- Reduce excess weight by an average of 21.8 pounds in six months
Designed for patients 18 years of age and older with a body mass index (BMI) between 30 and 40, ORBERA™ can help you accomplish your weight loss goals without surgery and with enduring results.
The ORBERA™ Procedure
The ORBERA™ Managed Weight Loss System works by restricting the amount of food that can enter the stomach. A mild sedative will be administered, after which a small, deflated gastric balloon will be introduced to the stomach through the throat. No incisions will be necessary. Once placed, the balloon will be filled with saline until it is approximately the size of a grapefruit. This non-surgical technique can be completed in about 30 minutes or less, depending on a number of factors. The majority of the weight loss will occur in the first three months, but gradual changes will continue after that. The balloon will remain in the stomach for six months.
After six months have elapsed, our bariatric surgeon will empty the ORBERA™ balloon and remove it from the stomach. As with the initial procedure, only a mild sedative will be necessary, and the treatment can be completed without incisions or hospitalization. The ORBERA™ balloon should not be left in longer than six months, as this can compromise results and safety.
The ORBERA™ balloon is just one part of the comprehensive program. In addition to this technique, patients will also receive attentive care and guidance from an experienced team of weight loss experts, which may include dietitians, fitness coaches, and bariatric surgeons. The second six months of the support program are just as important as the first. During this period patients will reinforce new eating and exercise habits that can ensure continued weight loss and long-lasting results. ORBERA™ is a medically supervised bariatric therapy, and there will be skilled weight loss professionals to help each individual at every step of the way.
Frequently Asked Questions about The Woodlands’ best weight loss system
Am I a candidate for the Relief All-Inclusive Weight Loss procedure?
- You could be a good candidate for the procedure if you are an adult who has not been able to lose those extra pounds with diet and exercise, you have a BMI of 30-40 and you are looking for a non-surgical solution to help you lose weight and get healthy.
- Some patients may not be eligible for the procedure because they have had previous bariatric surgery, structural abnormalities or other medical issues in the esophagus or stomach.
- You will not be eligible for the procedure if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant within six months’ time, or breast-feeding.
How is the procedure performed?
- The procedure is performed by a highly-trained physician in an outpatient medical setting while the patient is under mild sedation.
- A thin and deflated balloon is placed into the stomach using a specially designed, flexible tool called an endoscope.
- The balloon is then filled with saline and stays in the stomach for 6 months helping you feel satisfied with smaller meals.
- The procedure typically takes about 20-30 minutes so you can go home the very same day. After 6 months, the balloon is removed in the same way it was placed.
How much weight can I lose with an intragastric balloon?
Though individual results will vary, in the U.S. clinical study, ORBERA patients lost an average of 21.8 lbs.